Monday, May 2, 2011

What People Are Really Thinking Inside

I had an opportunity to chat with a friend the other day.  He is typically out of town for the better part of each week, being home on the weekends.  He told me that while on the road last week his accountant called him up and informed him that he owed some serious money on his taxes.  So, while this pressure was heavily on his mind, he gets a call from a friend who tells him that his son has knocked out  his front teeth in a school event.  (The son had just had his braces removed the week before.)  With all these things weighing heavily on my friend, he wakes up the next morning not feeling quite right.  He goes to a hospital where they diagnose him with an irregular heart beat and admit him.  He joked with me that it took electric shock to get his life back in order.  Now before any of you accuse me, my friend has had challenges with his heart beat before, however, the medical professionals are always able to get it taken care of.

I remember an old Star Trek episode where the aliens they encounter can read each others, and the humans minds.





 You can image the kind of chaos the ensued by being able to read each others minds.  Now, for a second, think about if you could read minds.  You would know what you best friend was thinking as you talked with her.  Maybe she is saying something like, "Your shirt is very classy, where did you buy it?" when in fact she was thinking, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that shirt!

My neighbor has a very nice trampoline.  He actually gave it to me, since his youngest son was on a humanitarian mission and his older kids were married.  When his son returned from Africa, he asked about the trampoline.  His father, my neighbor, came over and asked for it back.  No problem, he said that my kids could continue to use it.



However, my neighbor doesn't take care of his trampoline very well.  He has had to repair it a few times.  Recently the wind blew quite hard and turned his trampoline into a twisted pile of metal.  He came over to my house the other day to chat.  All I could think of was why didn't you turn your trampoline over for the winter to protect it from the wind?  Now if he could read my mind, oh boy!  Btw, my neighbor is great!  The Best!  But what if I could read his mind when he came over, and I caught him thinking, "Your yard looks like a garbage dump!  Why don't you ever clean it up!"

I dwell on the idea of a society that could read minds, share information without talking.  What attributes would this society have?  The city of Enoch was taken into heaven apparently because they were so good that they didn't need to stay on this earth.  I am thinking that a society that could read minds would have to have no dirty laundry to hide.  You wouldn't be able to have any hidden (mean) feelings toward anyone, because they would know.  I kind of think that a society like this would be great!  Everyone would love everyone!  They would have to.  In this kind of society, there would not be any anger, hate, violence, etc.  If someone was hiding any of the aforementioned feelings, everyone would know.  I suspect that a person in this Utopian society would eventually, well quite quickly, become very pure -- meaning very like-able because they would give off love, warmth, passion, etc.  And it would be TRUE to the person!


Alas, I must put my feet back on the earth.  I, too, have problems judging other people.  If I could look at other peoples weaknesses with love and compassion rather than with hate and anger, I would be a much better person.  I would also be a much happier person to live with.

Till next time,
Bill

No comments: