Friday, April 22, 2011

The Human Crash

I have had a laptop computer for roughly four years.  It has been a good computer, but it came with Windows Vista as the operating system.  Vista (IMHO) is a stop-gap release for Microsoft between the solid and successful XP and the current Windows 7.  In the four years that I have had this laptop, the Vista operating system has crashed, and crashed so hard that after the "blue screen of death" was displayed, and I had rebooted the laptop, the resulting bootup was corrupt requiring me to either restore the original Vista image to the laptop, or try and rebuild my laptop from the corrupted point it was currently at.




This week I had had enough when this happened for the fourth time.  I went and had Windows 7 installed on my laptop -- something I should have done a very long time ago. 



So why do I bring this up?  In looking at my laptop and its frequent crashes, I compare that to my life.  I have noted that several things make a well-balanced person (now a shrink may or may not agree with me on this):
  • Support of a good wife or companion
  • Support of good kids
  • Support of friends and extended family members
  • Religion
  • Someone to talk to when all the above fail you
Life is tough!  I don't need to tell anyone that.  I used to have a poster in my bedroom when I was growing up.  It was a picture of several lemons falling into a juicer and lemon juice coming out.  It said, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"







Ok so this wasn't like my poster, but I like it!  There are days when I really need to talk to someone and for reasons only the universe knows, all the above support cast in my life fail me, so I have to resort to making lemonade.  Most of the time this works.

Last evening I watched the relatively new movie 127 Hours.  I had read the story about Aaron Ralston, how he had been trapped in a slot canyon and had to cut his arm off in order to escape.






The movie did not disappoint and provided me with adequate lemonade for the evening.  (I would recommend the movie to anyone who would enjoy a life-thriller type movie.)

Till next time,
Bill

No comments: