Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Why I Stuck With Verizon or Cellphone Wars!

I didn't think that I was going to blog today, as March ended like LION big time and now we are in April and it appears that the weather can't make up its mind to shift into consistent Spring weather.  This morning when I left to go to work, I couldn't tell for sure if it was going to rain, snow, blow, or just be overcast. 


Weathermen, it is funny how they only seem to get it right the day of a particular weather event.  You watch the news and the weatherman comes on and says, "100% chance of snow right now," and you look out the window and it is snowing.  However, trying to predict what will happen in 5 to 7 days is not so much a science and a guess, at least from what I have seen.  But I am getting off subject now,  Back to what I titled this about.

I worked for a leading, large, high tech company for over ten years.  They provided a mobile phone for me and paid all the costs of that phone, which was great!  However, I didn't have the choice of picking the carrier that I wanted to use.  So AT&T it was.  Back in the day it was CellularOne or Cingular, but AT&T bought them out.
 
There are several stories I can tell about coverage and dropped calls, but I will only belabor you with two.  One time I took my family up to the mountains to spend a few nights at a cabin.  I tried my cell phone from the cabin, but had no signal strength bars on my phone.  I tried making a call, but got the infamous "no service" message.


I went to the rental store and asked the attendant if he was able to get cell service up here.  He said, yes, no problem.  I asked him who his carrier was and he told me Verizon.

A second situation happened when I flew to upsate New York on company business.  Upon arriving at my hotel, I checked into my room and tried to make a cell phone call.  I received the "No Service" message.  I went to the hotel's front desk and asked them about cell coverage.  They told me to go out the back door and climb up a hill and make my call there.  I did.  At the top of the hill I was able to get one bar on my phone and make/receive a call.  When done, I went back to the hotel front desk and asked if the attendant had a cell phone.  Yes, she said.  I asked her if it worked in the hotel, and she said yes.  I asked he who her carrier was, she said Verizon.



I had several of these experiences while working for my company, but hey, my cell phone way paid for by the company.  When I left this company in favor of a new opportunity, I switched my cell phone provider to Verizon.  I have to be honest, that everywhere I have gone, with very few exceptions, I get signal.  And I can't remember the last time I had a dropped call.

So I always wanted an iPhone, ever since the first version was revealed in 2007.  The main thing that was keeping me from getting one was that is was only available with AT&T.  So, I envisioned what it would be like if Verizon was able to sell the iPhone.






Roughly mid 2010 I started hearing and reading rumors that Verizon was going to start offering an iPhone.  I "held" my breath.  My two-year Verizon new phone time period came and went.  (I didn't upgrade my current phone.)  Finally on February 3rd, 2011 Verizon made an iPhone available.  I was hooked, upgrading to one ASAP.

I was curious to see how Verizon was doing with both iPhone sales and with dropped calls vs AT&T.  I found some good information here, which I will paraphrase.

A company called Changewave has released information on surveys they've performed since the release of the Verizon iPhone 4.  Changewave's survey found that new Verizon iPhone users are indeed experiencing fewer dropped calls than their AT&T counterparts:


This second graph analyzes which iPhone retailer a person would buy their phone (and service contract) from:


From the past 90 days, it appears that future iPhone buyers seem to be planning on buying from Verizon over AT&T.

Till Next Time,
Bill

No comments: