Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Six Little Girls and Two Little Boys

Approximately 10 years ago, we moved to a new city, built a new home, and became part of a most excellent neighborhood.  At this same time, I had the opportunity to teach a Sunday School Class at our local church.  This class was made up of six little girls and two little boys.  (I must confess that one of the little girls was my daughter.)


This was quite the opportunity for me, since trying to get eight young children to calm down for 45 minutes each Sunday might well be an impossible thing to do.  My daughter, quite the socialite, had all the solutions.  She suggested that I bring candy to Sunday School and give it to the class.  So, wanting to have success, I took candy to Sunday School.


I tried to use the candy as an incentive at the end of the class.  Be good during class and I'll give you a candy at the end of class.  To which the class responded, when I returned from getting some chalk, by opening the window in the classroom and climbing in and out of the window (we were in a ground level classroom).

My daughter, ever the socialite, gave me another suggestion.  She said that we needed to have a class party.  So we held a class party on Saturday morning.  Had all the pancakes, waffles, sausage, bacon, and eggs that you would want.  Lots of laughs and a little bit of how they all should act in church.

Sunday came around and miraculously the kids were somewhat well behaved.  We talked about the party the previous day and actually made it through the lesson unscathed.  At the end of class, all eight kids were rewarded with a candy.

I have heard it said that out of the mouth of babes come many wise words.  This particular Sunday I realized that my daughter was wise well beyond her years.  All I needed to do was listen.

Today, roughly 10 years later, I still see many of these not so young children, well teenagers, in the neighborhood.  My daughter continues to "hang out" will many of them.  They have all grown into fine young ladies and young men.



Till next time,
Bill

No comments: